Sunday, February 8, 2009

Why is Aaron Sorkin smiling? Because I'm a freakin' expert!

I’m just going to put this out there: I love Googling myself. I don’t do it out of vanity. I do it because I always come across a new surprise. For example, a Google search from about a year ago revealed that articles I wrote for The Observer in college were referenced in the 30 Rock and the Aaron Sorkin Wikipedia articles.

Unfortunately, the Aaron Sorkin article has been updated, and I’ve been cut. But the old article can now be found here. Here’s the info about The West Wing scribe that I am cited for writing:

His storytelling strengths lie in exploring the behind-the-scenes situations of workplace settings, such as the JAG Corps., a sports show, the White House, and lately a sketch comedy show.[71]

Did I just blow your mind? I hope so. Should I admit that I used Wikipedia for background in the first place? Yes.

Want more of my insight? Just look at what the 30 Rock article referenced me for:

30 Rock is a five-time Golden Globe Award-winning and a nine-time Primetime Emmy Award-winning American television comedy series created by Tina Fey that currently airs on NBC. The series takes place behind the scenes of a fictional live sketch comedy series depicted as airing on NBC; the name "30 Rock" refers to the GE Building where NBC Studios is located and which has the address "30 Rockefeller Plaza".[1]

Check that out! I’m the first source! Too bad I didn’t actually say all those things in my article. Way to be sloppy, Wikipedia.

After reliving my Wikipedia fame, I decided to Google myself again and see if anything new popped up. I leave you with this treat. Apparently http://www.jesus-is-savior.com is using an opinion piece I wrote about celebrity marriages to advance its own agenda. It’s good to know that someone out there values my opinion. I am honored to be included on a web site that thinks evolution is a hoax, calls the Virgin Mary a whore, and argues that the U.S. and Israeli governments were behind 9/11.

So go ahead and Google yourself. As you can see, you really never know what you'll find.

1 comment:

Mattie said...

Let me add that I love that the Jesusy website, when providing commentary to "prove" that your piece supports their point of view, misspells "reeks."

Oh, and I believe that since they did not cite the paper you write for, the paper can demand it be taken down. Technically, it's plagiarism right now.

I *heart* your blog.