Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year, New Shows

The new year means Oscar season for the film industry, but for the television industry it means mid-season replacements. It’s a chance for networks to reshuffle their schedules, get rid of shows that didn’t work, and risk a lot on even more shows that probably won’t work. But I hold out hope for some series, especially Joss Whedon’s “Dollhouse.” Below is my list of new and returning shows that I plan on watching. Note the absence of pop culture powerhouses “Lost,” “24,” and “Battlestar Galactica.” Believe me when I say I have an expansive list of good TV that I need to catch up on. The fact that I have allowed myself to evade all three of these dramas is unforgiveable. Someday I’ll make up for it. But for now, here are the shows that I plan to watch in 2009.


New Shows:

“Trust Me”

Premieres: Monday, Jan. 26, TNT

There’s really only one reason why I’ll be watching “Trust Me,” and that reason is Tom Cavanaugh (“Ed”). I’ll watch anything he’s in, even “Snow 2: Brain Freeze.” This new series stars Cavanaugh as Conner and Eric McCormack (“Will & Grace”) as Mason, two best friends who work together at an advertising firm in Chicago. Their personal and professional relationship is tested when Conner gets promoted to creative director, leaving Mason behind. “Trust Me” is advertised as a drama, but with two comedic actors in the leading roles, I’m sure it will incorporate some buddy comedy elements.

“Dollhouse”

Premieres: Friday, Feb. 13, FOX

Summer of 2008 was my own personal “Summer of Joss Whedon.” I devoured “Firefly,” “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog,” “Buffy,” and “Angel,” and then began the patient wait for Whedon’s “Dollhouse,” starring Eliza Dushku. The series follows Echo (Dushku), an “Active” or “Doll” who carries out missions and then has her memory wiped clean after her mission is complete. The operation runs smoothly, until Echo begins to become self-aware. FOX stuck the series in a Friday night timeslot due to an already jam-packed schedule so expect Whedonites to fight viciously for the series’ survival. The pain of the network’s mishandling of “Firefly” is not forgotten.

“Castle”

Premieres: Monday, March 9, ABC

Nathan Fillion stars as mystery writer Richard Castle. When someone starts mimicking the crimes described in his novels, he must join forces with the NYPD to help them catch the copycat killer. I feel like this has been done before (like on “One Life to Live,” Fillion’s former soap), but I’ll watch it for Fillion. I wasn’t really a fan until “Waitress,” but then I watched “Firefly” and I was completely hooked.

“Sit Down, Shut Up”

Premieres: April, FOX

The animated series has something to do with high school teachers, but who really cares about the plot when you have these names behind the project: Mitch Hurwitz, Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, Henry Winkler, Will Forte, Kristin Chenoweth, and Cheri Oteri to name a few. I’ll watch anything that the “Arrested Development” creator brings my way.

 

Returning Shows:

“Rock of Love Bus with Bret Michaels”

Premieres: Sunday, Jan. 4, VH1

I never watched the first “Rock of Love,” but I was deeply entrenched in “Rock of Love 2.” Let’s just say I kind of know Season 2 winner Ambre, which means I closely followed all of the second season (and maybe went to a viewing party at a bar in Chicago on Easter Sunday). Sadly, Ambre and Bret broke up, but that just means that Bret can continue his quest for true love and sex with bimbos. This time he puts his groupies on tour buses! I’m taking bets on how many episodes it takes for him to sing “Every Rose Has Its Thorn.”

“Scrubs”

Premieres: Tuesday, Jan. 6, ABC

So “Scrubs” isn’t as good as it used to be, but I’m still a devoted fan. I’m amazed it lasted as long as it did on NBC. Now the series is trying its luck on ABC. The eighth season premieres on Tuesday and it’s going to be Zach Braff’s last. It’s been hinted that the series will continue even after Braff leaves, but it will be interesting to see how Bill Lawrence handles that change since the series is narrated by Braff’s character J.D.

“Real World: Brooklyn”

Premieres: Wednesday, Jan. 7, MTV

“Real World” goes to Brooklyn! Is the long-time reality show really running out of locales? But I don’t really care where the “Real World” films. I keep watching because I keep hoping that something “real” will actually come out of the series, like in the earlier seasons. Chances are I’ll lose interest after a few episodes, but I still like to give every season a shot.

“Big Love”

Premieres: Sunday, Jan. 18, HBO

It’s been a long time since we last checked in with the Henrickson clan, and I personally can’t wait to see what’s new. I’ll admit that I’m not a huge fan of patriarch Bill. The real reason I watch is for the women, including Amanda Seyfried who plays Sarah, the oldest daughter of Bill and Barb. Watching Sarah rebel against the polygamist lifestyle as her brother Ben embraces it is a fascinating look at how the decisions of the parents in this untraditional household are affecting their children.

No comments: